If you want to connect your Xbox One console to Xbox Live and don’t have a router, you can connect through your Mac computer. If your Mac is connected to the Internet and has an AirPort Card installed, you can share its Internet connection with your console. All you need to do is connect your Mac to your console, turn on Internet sharing, get your computer’s DNS server address, and then set the network settings on your console.
Step 1: Connect a network cable and turn on Internet sharing
- Plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the network port on the back of your Xbox One console.
- Plug the other end into an Ethernet port on your Mac.
- On your Mac, choose Apple > System Preferences, and then click Sharing.
- Select Internet Sharing.
- From the Share your connection from list, select AirPort.
- From the To computers using list, select Ethernet Adaptor (en2).
Step 2: Get the DNS server address for your Mac
The next step is to get your Mac computer’s DNS server address. Here’s how:
- On your Mac, select Apple > System Preferences > Network.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Click DNS, and then write down the numbers listed under "DNS Servers."
- Click OK.
- Select Ethernet.
- Click TCP/IP, and then set Configure IPv4 to Off.
- Click Apply.
Step 3: Set the network settings on your Xbox One console
Now, change your network settings on your Xbox One console. Here’s how:
- Scroll left from Home to open the guide.
- Select Settings.
- Select All Settings.
- Select Network.
- Select Network settings.
- Select Advanced settings, and then select IP settings.
- Select Manual. You’ll be prompted for the IP address. Enter 192.168.2.2, and then select Enter.
- You’ll then be prompted for the Subnet mask. Enter 255.255.255.0, and then select Enter.
- Next, you’ll be prompted for the Gateway. Enter 192.168.2.1, and then select Enter.
- Select DNS settings.
- Select Manual. You’ll be prompted for the Primary DNS and then the Secondary DNS server.
- Enter the numbers that you wrote down in Step 2, and then select Enter.
- Press B on your controller, and then select Test network connection.
Your console should now share the Internet connection that your Mac is using to connect to Xbox Live.